What is baldness?
Baldness, also known as alopecia, is hair loss, or absence of hair. Baldness is usually most noticeable on the scalp, but can occur anywhere on the body where hair grows. The condition is more common in men than in women.
What causes hair loss?
Hair loss is believed to be primarily caused by a combination of the following:
* change in hormones
* family history of baldness
Generally, the earlier hair loss begins, the more severe the baldness will become.
Treatment for baldness:
Specific treatment for baldness will be determined by your physician based on:
* your age, overall health, and medical history
* extent of the condition
* your tolerance for specific medications, procedures, and therapies
* expectation for the course of the disease
* your opinion or preference